This is the Kiravans version of the very popular campervan vibration damping / soundproofing products offered by other brands like Dynamat / Silent Coat and Noisekiller. It's ideal to use on all van metal surfaces and is especially useful behind the Kiravans Door Store.
We get a lot of questions about how much soundproofing is needed in a van. This stuff genuinely makes a difference to the rattling in your campervan by reducing road noise and vibration of large metal panels (such as your sliding door) so we usually recommend either a box of 10 pieces - if you plan to cover each panel on your van (2 pieces per panel + rear doors/ tailgate) or a box of 20 pieces - if you plan to cover each panel on your van as well as the roof and floor.
Each piece of soundproofing measures 46 x 40cm. We also offer a single sheet option, as well as a 5-piece box option - just in case you need a little extra!
- Foil inner surface: silver & unbranded in our case)
- Butyl rubber high-density material: to absorb vibrations
- Peel off paper backing: Just peel off and stick to the van surface
- Sheets are sized 46 x 40 cm (easy to cut with a Stanley knife to fit wherever you need it) - 2 sheets will be sufficient for each panel on your van
How much do I need?
- Kiravans DoorStore: There is space for 2 sheets behind it
- Rear doors: 2 sheets will be sufficient for a pair of barn doors with windows
- Wheel arches: 2 sheets per wheel arch
- Roof: 8 sheets will be enough to effectively reduce vibration all over your roof
- Other van panels (Eg. below a window): 2 sheets each
Will it fit behind my door store?
This stuff is very easy to apply and does not obstruct your Door Store. It genuinely makes a difference to the road noise in your campervan by reducing road noise and vibration of large metal panels such as your sliding door
Two sheets are sufficient to line the large panels of your Sliding door behind Kiravans Door Store. It is not a complete covering (that would require two and half sheets) but you will get the majority of the benefit from two sheets as that alone will significantly impact the road noise and vibration.
Tips for fitting behind your door store
- Apply to top voids first, then use any left-over in the bottom void.
- Cut and apply such that it only sticks to the flat outer wall of the van door.
- Do not apply to the brackets or any raised pieces of metal as this will prevent the Door Store fitting properly.
- Ensure that the cable in the top void is not trapped under the Dynamat, leave it free to move.
Do I need to cover the entire surface?
In an ideal world, yes. But the usual rule of diminishing returns applies - you will get almost all the benefit by applying the Vibration Damper to the majority of the panel, roughly 75% coverage gives you just about the maximum effect.
To apply the vibration damping material simply ensure your surface is clean and dry, cut to fit, peel off the backing and stick in place.
Is this identical to the other vibration damping material on the market?
We believe it is exactly identical, or perhaps a little better, but we haven't spent any money on branding it up or using fancy packaging. Ours will simply be delivered with the usual speed and quality of service you'd expect from Kiravans but in a plain brown cardboard box. Sorry it's not a bit fancier looking!! Actually, we have deliberately not added our own branding as we know that many conversion firms simply don't like having other folks brands all over their campervan builds.
We have also done a simple test to compare the weight & thickness of 3 competitor products and show:
Kiravans Vibration Damping
2.0mm thick. A sample piece 18cm x 27cm weighs 20 grams
2.0mm thick. A sample piece 18cm x 27cm weighs 17 grams
Not available just now to compare, will add the details in a few days time